Unfortunately, I have yet to find a perfect setup and workflow, but what I do have seems to be working for the time being so I thought I would share.
- 2013 27″ iMac, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, Fusion Drive
- 2 x 24″ el’cheapo monitors
- Das Keyboard
- Yeti Mic (awesome now that you can make calls through new OS X )
- Sennheiser HD598 Headphones
- Razer Naga Mouse
- 2010 MacBook Pro
- SublimeText 3
- Coda 2 (moving away as it was buggy)
- ForkLift 2 (ftp)
- MAMP – virtual server to run WordPress locally
- Creative Suite
- Lightroom 3 – for photo management
- Harvest – for time tracking
- Asana – for project management
Starting off, I love the iMac – it is the absolute perfect workhorse if you consistently work in one location. I truly don’t understand how someone can just work off a laptop.
You have the power to run literally the entire Creative Suite, and the screen real-estate to display your code, design, and a live preview of your work. I then also have the two additional screens – one will always have emails, calendar, Skype, music, and the odd miscellaneous window. The second will be a continuation of my work, so usually an FTP app or the live preview.
I mention FTP because (unfortunately) I still currently haven’t grasped the full concept of Git. I have dabbled in it for a few projects but nothing to the scale that I would like.
- Develop Locally via MAMP and SublimeText
- Currently using LESS as a CSS preprocessor and am loving it!
- PSD to WordPress Template in one step (no html to WP)
- Browser test Safari, Chrome, FireFox
- Boot Up Parallels and test Internet Explorer
- Upload to demo server and send link to client